Joint SPPU - IUCAA M.Sc. Physics (Astrophysics) Programme
Click Here to view First Merit list for IUCAA-SPPU M.Sc. (Physics with Astrophysics) programme 2023-24
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) and the Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) announce a joint M.Sc. programme in Physics (Astrophysics), having recognized a growing need for broadly trained students to work on large astronomy/astrophysics projects such as LIGO-India, TMT, SKA, space-based astronomy missions, etc. within the country. This programme is envisaged to be a flagship Masters' programme to prepare students to undertake research in contemporary astronomy and astrophysics. The M.Sc. programme will provide the requisite training in physics and astrophysics through theoretical physics and astrophysics courses, experimental, observational, and computational work, and projects on current research topics. This will be a standalone programme, but some of the courses will be shared with the existing M.Sc. programme in physics at SPPU.
Eligibility and Admission:
The admission to the M.Sc. Programme - 2023 will be through the recently held Joint Entrance and Screening Test (http://www.jest.org.in/).
The programme seeks to admit highly motivated students with a consistently good academic record. Students should have completed a B. Sc. degree in Physics and Mathematics or a B.E. / B. Tech. degree in any branch of engineering, with a minimum of 55% marks. Those expecting to complete such a degree in the academic year 2022 - 2023 with a minimum of 55% marks will also be eligible. In addition, prospective applicants should have cleared the Joint Entrance and Screening Test (JEST-2023) for Physics.
Candidates selected on the basis of their JEST score will be invited for counseling, where they will learn more about the programme before seeking admission.
The students admitted to the SPPU-IUCAA M.Sc. programme will be eligible for Hostel accommodation at SPPU as per existing rules at SPPU.
Click Here for the Admission procedure for M.Sc. Physics with Astrophysics 2023
Students selected for the SPPU-IUCAA M.Sc. Programme will be eligible to receive a monthly scholarship of Rs. 1,000/-, as well as reimbursement of tuition fees, for the two-year duration of the course.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply online at https://campus.unipune.ac.in/ccep/login.aspx.The last date for the online submission of applications is Saturday July 08, 2023.
The joint M.Sc. programme will be for two years and will result in an M.Sc. in Physics (Astrophysics). The students of this programme will gain a solid foundation and practical experience in solving scientific problems, which should enable them to fill the growing needs of large astronomy/astrophysics projects. The first year of the M.Sc. programme will offer theoretical and experimental physics courses and will be taught by the Department of Physics (DoP), SPPU faculty members. The 2nd year of the M.Sc. programme will offer courses mainly at IUCAA on theoretical, experimental, and observational astrophysics through classroom lectures, laboratory work and projects. The second year will also include two elective courses per DoP, SPPU's policy. Each student of the M.Sc. programme will be required to work on a project in the 3rd and the 4th semesters under the supervision of an experienced scientist. The project work is aimed at gaining experience in astronomy & astrophysics research. The currently approved course structure is as follows:
Semester I (20 credits)
- PHY-C101/C102 - Basic Physics Laboratory-I / Computer Programming and Numerical Methods (4 credits)
- PHY-C103 - Mathematical Methods in Physics-I (4 credits)
- PHY-C104 - Classical Mechanics (4 credits)
- PHY-C105 - Quantum Mechanics-I (4 credits)
- PHY-C106 - Basic Electronics (2 credits)
- PHY-C107 - Atomic and Molecular Physics (2 credits)
Semester II (20 credits)
- PHY-C201/C202 - Basic Physics Laboratory-I / Computer Programming and Numerical Methods (4 credits)
- PHY-C203 - Statistical Mechanics (4 credits)
- PHY-C204 - Electrodynamics-I (4 credits)
- PHY-C205 - Solid State Physics (4 credits)
- PHY-C206 - Quantum Mechanics-II (2 credits)
- PHY-C207 - Applied Electronics (2 credits)
Semester III (20 credits)
- PHY-IC380 - Relativistic Electrodynamics and Radiation processes (4 credits)
- PHY-IC382 - Introduction to Astronomy & Astrophysics (4 credits)
- PHY-IC480 - Astronomical Techniques (4 credits)
- PHY-E311 TO PHY-E326 - Elective course offered by Department of Physics, SPPU (4 credits)
- PHY-IL390 - Astrophysics laboratory (2 credits)
- PHY-IP395 - Project work (2 credits)
Semester IV (20 credits)
- PHY-IC381 - Astrophysical dynamics (4 credits)
- PHY-IC481 - General Relativity (2 credits)
- PHY-C402 - Nuclear Physics (4 credits)
- PHY-IE485 - Elective course - Cosmology at IUCAA, other elective courses at Dept. of Physics (SPPU) (2 credits)
- PHY-IE486 - Elective course - High Energy Astrophysics at IUCAA, other elective courses at Dept. of Physics (SPPU) (2 credits)
- PHY-IL490 - Astrophysics laboratory (2 credits)
- PHY-IP495 - Project (4 credits)