एसपीपीयू - आईयूसीएए एमएससी। भौतिकी (खगोल भौतिकी)
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) and the Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) announce a joint M.Sc. programme in Physics (Astrophysics), having recognized a growing need for broadly trained students to work on large astronomy/astrophysics projects such as LIGO-India, TMT, SKA, space-based astronomy missions etc. within the country. This programme is envisaged to be a flagship Masters' programme to prepare students to undertake research in contemporary astronomy and astrophysics. The M.Sc. programme will provide the requisite training in physics and astrophysics through courses on theoretical physics and astrophysics, experimental, observational and computational work and projects on current research topics. This will be a standalone programme but some of the courses will be shared with the existing M.Sc. programme in physics at SPPU.
Eligibility and Admission:
The admission to the M.Sc. Programme - 2021 will be through the recently held Joint Entrance and Screening Test (http://www.jest.org.in/).
The programme seeks to admit highly motivated students with consistently good academic record. Students should have completed a B. Sc. degree with Physics and Mathematics or a B.E. / B. Tech. degree in any branch of engineering, with a minimum of 55% marks. Those expecting to complete such a degree in the academic year 2020 - 2021 with a minimum of 55% marks will also be eligible. In addition, prospective applicants should have cleared the Joint Entrance and Screening Test (JEST-2021) for Physics.
Candidates selected on the basis of their JEST score will be invited for counselling, where they will learn more about the programme before seeking admission.
The students admitted in the M.Sc. programme will be eligible for Hostel accommodation at Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU).
How to Apply:
We have now stopped accepting applications for SPPU-IUCAA's M.Sc. Programme 2021.
The joint MSc programme will be for a two year period and will result in an MSc degree in Physics (Astrophysics). The students of this programme will gain both a solid foundation and practical experience in solving scientific problems which should enable them to fill the growing needs of large astronomy/astrophysics projects. The first year of the M.Sc. programme will offer courses on theoretical and experimental physics, and will be taught by the faculty members of the Department of Physics (DoP), SPPU. The 2nd year of the M.Sc. programme will offer courses mainly at IUCAA on theoretical, experimental and observational astrophysics through classroom lectures, laboratory work and projects. The second year will also include two elective courses as per the policy of DoP, SPPU. Each student of the M.Sc. programme will be required to work on a project in the 3rd and the 4th semesters under the supervision of an experienced scientist. The project work is aimed at gaining experience in astronomy & astrophysics research. The currently approved course structure is as follows:
Semester I (20 credits)
- PHY-C101/C102 - Basic Physics Laboratory-I / Computer Programming and Numerical Methods (4 credits)
- PHY-C103 - Mathematical Methods in Physics- I (4 credits)
- PHY-C104 - Classical Mechanics (4 credits)
- PHY-C105 - Quantum Mechanics-I (4 credits)
- PHY-C106 - Basic Electronics (2 credits)
- PHY-C107 - Atomic and Molecular Physics (2 credits)
Semester II (20 credits)
- PHY-C201/C202 - Basic Physics Laboratory-I / Computer Programming and Numerical Methods (4 credits)
- PHY-C203 - Statistical Mechanics (4 credits)
- PHY-C204 - Electrodynamics-I (4 credits)
- PHY-C205 - Solid State Physics (4 credits)
- PHY-C206 - Quantum Mechanics-II (2 credits)
- PHY-C207 - Applied Electronics (2 credits)
Semester III (20 credits)
- PHY-IC380 - Relativistic Electrodynamics and Radiation processes (4 credits)
- PHY-IC382 - Introduction to Astronomy & Astrophysics (4 credits)
- PHY-IC480 - Astronomical Techniques (4 credits)
- PHY-E311 TO PHY-E326 - Elective course offered by Department of Physics, SPPU (4 credits)
- PHY-IL390 - Astrophysics laboratory (2 credits)
- PHY-IP395 - Project work (2 credits)
Semester IV (20 credits)
- PHY-IC381 - Astrophysical dynamics (4 credits)
- PHY-IC481 - General Relativity (2 credits)
- PHY-C402 - Nuclear Physics (4 credits)
- PHY-IE485 - Elective course (2 credits) (Cosmology at IUCAA, other elective courses at Dept. of Physics (SPPU))
- PHY-IE486 - Elective course (2 credits) (High Energy Astrophysics at IUCAA, other elective courses at Dept. of Physics (SPPU))
- PHY-IL490 - Astrophysics laboratory (2 credits)
- PHY-IP495 - Project (4 credits)